love.

Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends....So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love. -I Corinthians 13:4-8, 13

honor your father and mother.

>> Thursday, May 20, 2010

This will probably be a pretty short entry, but if you follow my other blog, you know I got my wisdom teeth out yesterday. Since I was so scared I took my trusty iPod with me to keep me removed from reality. I listened to one of my favorite speakers, Alistair Begg. I was listening to him speak on the role of the family. He talked about the role of the father and mother in the family but when he started to talk about the role of the children, it peaked my interest. I don't think that children understand the call that we have to honor our parents. It was something that in the old testament was punishable by death. Seems pretty intense...and while the punishment has obviously changed, the way God views this role is no less serious. Even in the New Testament, children are given this commandment: "Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord." Colossians 3:20. Even though I'm 22 years old, graduated from college and will soon be living on my own, I am still my parents' child and still owe them obedience and respect. While my relationship with my parents will begin to change, my calling as their child remains the same, to honor and respect them always as commanded by God. Think about this verse the next time you disagree with your parents or when you get in an argument at home.

lauren.

2 comments:

Unknown May 23, 2010 at 1:10 PM  

LOVE THIS!!! It has been on my mind a lot lately. All I see is children pushing their parents on everything. I think the word honor is a very interesting one! Doing what your parents tell you to do is totally different from honoring them.
Check out Eph. 6:4 "Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord." Kinda interesting.... we always hear about how children should act and very little about how parents should treat their children.

Anonymous,  May 25, 2010 at 7:39 AM  

I love this. The way you said you still have to honor and respect them even after you move out shows that you really understand this verse! I will remember this post!

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP